Sunday, October 16, 2005

nostalgia

my mom made me do something i should have done weeks ago... sort out the humongous pile of toys in the basement bodega. to keep, or not to keep? that is the question. first of all, the pile was really huge. second, i hate parting with things. everything seems to have a sentimental value for me. i had no choice, however. with the help of my ever-reliable brother (and mama, of course) i was able to finish the seemingly impossible chore just in time to squeeze in a few more games of star wars battlefront before bedtime.

sorting through our toys made me realize so many things. i miss the times when my sole purpose for going to the grocery store was to buy batteries for the ballroom lights of my polly pocket mansion. i miss the times when my "clothes dilemma" involved what barbie should wear to teresa's party. i miss the times when "cooking" meant tossing fake, plastic carrots, cabbage, meat and tomatoes into a flowered pot. i miss the times when self-defense meant wielding a sai or katana alongside my bro, "michelangelo," against the evil shredder. i miss the times when my brother and i were "mayors" of our lego town. i miss the innocence, the optimism, the idealism, the creativity, the simplicity - the sheer joy of being a child.

mik keeps telling me i'm too k.j. nowadays. it's true. before our sem break, i'd go home on friday nights, lock myself up in my room to study, go downstairs to eat, study again, then leave for manila on sundays. i avoided the ps2 like a plague. i stopped making up adventure stories with him like i used to. i talk, act and worse, worry like a full-grown adult.

take note that i said "like a full-grown adult." i still whine like a baby. besides, barbie still has more clothes than i do. :P


verse for the day:
but jesus called the little children to him and said, "let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. i tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." [luke 18: 16-17]

1 comment(s):

Blogger Denise rambled...

Don't worry. You grow younger after college. Tingnan mo kami ni Neil. We're never leaving our childhood again :P

at October 16, 2005 11:34 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home