Saturday, March 08, 2008

the end of the big four

pedia ended way too soon. when i finally realized how happy the rotation was making me, i was thrust into ob-gyne which brought about a lot of exhaustion and depression.

internal medicine was even worse for me because (1) i HAD to study harrison's 24/7 or else i'm doomed to repeat the rotation, (2) i flunked the first exam - the easiest, says trina - despite the studying, (3) my trusty g4 ibook died. so there i was burying my face in my internal med textbook and trying very hard to concentrate on it, while not thinking of the possibility that i had lost all my files (not to mention all my pictures since my imed days) and might not see my laptop work ever again.

after that horrible first week in internal med, things got better. i passed the next two exams (and enjoyed reading the cardio topics haha), my parents bought me a new macbook and i'm eternally grateful, and i learned a lot of things on medicine thanks to all that intensive reading. needless to say, internal med was quite the experience for me.

surgery was too benign for words. histories were shorter, cases were simpler (or so it seemed), and the reading list was a shadow of medicine's massive one. :P surgery, i realized, is probably one of the last specialties i'd go into. unfortunately, i'm not very skillful with the scalpel and needle. i also hate anatomy - the subject every surgeon must know if he/she is going to open up a person and take out a chunk of an organ. but surgery was still a lot of fun. i had more pedia exposure which i loved (pedia na 'to!). our block was able to go out to serendra despite a 7 am class the next day. i was able to diagnose a bunch of out-patient cases, which made me feel... useful. lol.

now that pedia, ob-gyne, medicine and surgery are finally over, i can say what the other blocks have been saying months ago: clerk na ako!

to my dear block, thanks for making the big four experience too awesome for words. we rak!!!



verse for the day:
not that i have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but i press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. brothers, i do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. but one thing i do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, i press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. [philippians 3:12-14]

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home